MEDITATION- What Why How?

 


I like to think of it like a filing cabinet for my mind. Making an acknowledgement and an observation of what needs to go where. Like a filter or a forcefield. What serves me and what doesn't. When people ask me ‘Why do you meditate?’ I often think ‘Why do you breathe?’. It comes in all shapes and forms, not just sitting on a rock saying OMMM (though this may work for you).



It’s a calm but alert state of the mind.


Often I’m met with the response with ‘I just can’t meditate’ or ‘I don’t think I can’ or ‘That’s the problem I don't want to sit with my thoughts’. I also said the exact same things years ago. Especially when I was often met with what I interpreted as a passive aggressive tone and a really ‘breathy’ voice that reminded me of someone whining LOL. It probably enraged me further. If you were too like me I promise this is not an accurate representation of what meditating is like.

I think what often stunt’s people is they think mediating is sitting still with no thoughts and then when their mind wanders they think they can’t do it. The mind will wander, think, reflect, debate. Meditating is sitting and witnessing that process. Helping us to separate from our thoughts rather than attach and identify with them.

Start simple but consistent. Doesn’t need to be long. Do what works for you. 2 minutes a day and you can up it as you see fit.

Relax- sit or lie down whatever is comfortable for you, unclenched your jaw, release tension from your hands, feet, roll your neck whatever helps you flow
Choose one thing to focus on exploring (your breath, perhaps a mantra e.g. ‘I am safe’)
If the mind wanders, observe, bring it back.

The first steps can be tough and hard work- Chasing our good thoughts and dancing with the 'bad' -find the balance'. You wouldn’t expect a stain to go away without doing anything about it.

J&R xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

✨THE FACE BEHIND NEW MOON GLOW ✨